1988 film restored and reissued as a deluxe package
The new image above gives a good feel for the deluxe packaging of the reissue of the Pet Shop Boys 1988 film It Couldn’t Happen Here.
The feature has been newly restored from a 4K scan and the new limited edition set includes a blu-ray and a DVD (in high and standard definition, respectively) of the Jack Bond-directed film and comes as a ‘digi-book’ package which looks like it slots into an outer slipcase.
Sadly, we are not getting the hoped for Tennant/Lowe audio commentary, but we do now know exactly what the extras are in this package are, and they are as follows:
- The book includes a new interview with Neil Tennant and previously unseen excerpts from his personal on-set production diary, as well as an introduction to the film by director Jack Bond and writing on the film by Anthony Nield, Jason Wood, Omer Ali, John Ramchandani, William Fowler and Vic Pratt
- Comprehensive feature commentary by Jack Bond, James Dillon and Simon Archer (2020)
- West End Boy: Jack Bond (2020, 27 mins): the director discusses his eclectic career as a filmmaker and his enterprising approach to the making of It Couldn’t Happen Here
- It Can Happen Here: Arlene Phillips (2020, 26 mins): the renowned choreographer reflects upon a life in dance and the trials and tribulations of working on It Couldn’t Happen Here
- Always on My Mind (1987, 5 mins): the full-length promotional video for Pet Shop Boys’ single, featuring Joss Ackland and footage from the film
- Actually: an unfilmed early version of the script for the film, included here in its entirety for the first time anywhere
- As it Happened: Image galleries including the complete final version of the script, the director’s shot lists, Pet Shop Boys reference lyric sheets and promotional materials for It Couldn’t Happen Here
- Original theatrical trailer (digitally reconstructed for this release)
It Couldn’t Happen Here will be released on 15 June 2020. Note, the DVD is region 2 and the blu-ray is region B.